Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vintage Chair Before & After

After downsizing my living room furnishings from a couch and a love seat to a couch and an overstuffed chair, I found myself in need of some supplementary seating. I picked up a vintage Danish Modern chair at my favorite flea market for a bargain $75! Of course, at that price you know it required some TLC. The wood was dingy brown and the original 1970 fabric was worn and dirty. Observe:



With a little help from my wood-refinishing-zealot friend Adele, we stripped the old stain and varnish off and resealed with a lovely warm pecan color. As a nice contrast to the rich wood tone (and a much-needed neutral addition to my room), I chose a cream chenille fabric for the seat and back. I tried to maintain the chair's original charm by repeating the 5 1/2" squares of fabric that comprise the seat cushion, but vetoed the tufting.



I'm so happy with the way it turned out, this is totally my new favorite piece of furniture!

No comments:

Post a Comment