Monday, May 4, 2009

Chair Makeover

As I was walking my dog last November, I came across this little beauty sitting on the street corner. Don't worry, it had only been out there a few minutes before I snagged it (not long enough for the hobos to pee on it).



I had been hankering to try a tailored slipcover like the kind they're always making on Trading Spaces, and this free chair was the perfect way to break in my new staple gun. A few yards of Lena fabric from Ikea, and some high gloss brown paint for the legs, and I was in business!

Mimicking what I had seen on TV, I cut largish pieces of fabric, and pinned them directly to the chair. Then I put pins all along where the seams were in the current design. The curved back created some difficulties that I had to improvise around, and fitting the cover back on the chair after it had been sewn was a bit of a problem. Since the top of the chair is wider than the base, I ended up hand-sewing the final seam to make it fit. Overall, the process was trial by error, but I think the results are pretty satisfactory!



Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment