Saturday, May 2, 2009

Decoupage Birdhouse

Spring is here! Every morning I am greeted by two little sparrows tapping on my window, and I can't help but think they are asking to come in for breakfast (little do they know the content of my fridge consists of Tim Tams and expired condiments). So, I thought I would give them a dedicated space of their own.

I simply painted the outside of the birdhouse brown and blue, then did the inside in a contrasting red. Once everything was dry, I used several coats of my old standby, Mod Podge, to apply the craft paper flowers to the roof. Since the house is going to be out in the elements, I sealed everything (including the inside) with an all-purpose sealer.

Michaels has a wide assortment of unfinished birdhouses that you can do up to suit your own purposes.



By the way, I found out after completing this project that there are different kinds of houses for different types of birds. It's quite possible that the Michaels birdhouses were never intended for actual bird use. If you want to investigate before buying, check out this site for tips and guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment