Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Disaster Watch 2013: Cutting Edge Controversy

As the time nears for some sort of ground cover in the World's Worst Backyard, I've found myself embroiled in some kind of lawn-based controversy. I call it a "contro-grassy." Just kidding, I never called it that until just now.

Anyway, I've been leaning toward just saying sod, because of the instant gratification of it all, and was only wondering whether I should install it myself or pay the sod suppliers to do it. But in the back of my mind I was tempted by the more inexpensive option - grass seed.

I've heard that grass seed is difficult to grow (and I have never successfully grown something from a seed - ever), but now that I have sprinklers on an automatic timer, I'm thinking how hard can it be? As long as I can keep Daisy off of it, isn't it worth a shot? We're talking 7 cents a square foot, instead of $1.50 for installed sod.



Which brings me to the contro-grassy (it's catching on!). I was watching TV last night, when an infomercial came on for a product called Cutting Edge. No, it's not the knives that cut through soda cans. It's a special variety of grass that puts down crazy long roots, and therefore is more drought tolerant, and hardy. It also only grows to 2-4" high, so you don't need to mow as often, if ever. Sounds too good to be true, right?

Actually yes, Garrett noticed that one of the images on the infomercial was photoshopped (and badly) but that doesn't mean it's fake right? Maybe they just didn't get a good picture? RIGHT??


I decided to do some research, and there are several types of grass seed out there that claim to grow drought resistant, no mow lawns. They have mixed reviews, no one can definitively say they are good or bad. So I signed up with a forum called The Helpful Gardener. They have a thread about Cutting Edge grass, and the webmaster is actually offering free samples to those who want to try it out for themselves. 

I'll let you all know how it turns out. After all, what's the worst that can happen?





No comments:

Post a Comment