Sunday, August 4, 2013

TIL: How to Clean an Oil Painting

It's the first Sunday of the month, and normally that means you can find me at the Pasadena City College flea market. However, on those occasions when I may have had a rousing Saturday night on the town, and require a little Sunday sleep-in, I make do with the Melrose flea market -- closer to home and lasts until 5 pm. Today was one such day.

The selection is a little different at the Melrose Trading Post (not as much furniture, more clothes and new, handmade jewelry and art), but you can usually find a little something to take home. I fell in love with this traditional oil painting...


Not my usual style, but who doesn't love a good Horse & Hound painting?

Of course it was super grimy, and I had no idea how to clean an oil painting. I had a feeling my usual all-purpose go-to product, Fabulouso, would not be recommended by museum curators everywhere. WikiHow to the rescue!

Turns out I already had everything I needed... Just some cotton swabs and my own spit. Sounds gross, I know, but at least it was basically free. You just moisten the Q-tips in your mouth (keep a cup of water nearby, to keep your whistle wet), and gently dab away. 


Look how much dirt is on those things! It took about an hour, but eventually I ended up with a clean painting and a stack of disgusting Q-tips.

I can't wait to find the perfect place for my newest little treasure!

UPDATE: Apartment Therapy just did a little recap of Los Angeles area flea markets! Some of my favorites are highlighted, check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment