Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY: Back to School Book Covers!

Confession: I am not actually going back to school. But I do miss shopping for school supplies - the smell of new binders, a fresh ream of college ruled paper, testing all the different pens to find the ones with the smoothest action... ah the memories. And perhaps this was a harbinger of my later love of paper crafts, but I always enjoyed making paper book covers out of brown paper shopping bags. 

It occurred to me the other day that just because I don't have any textbooks lying around, doesn't mean I can't dress up all my old paper backs with a little splash of color! So I hightailed it over to Michaels, carefully selected seven coordinated sheets of scrapbooking paper (59 cents each), and set out on the easiest project ever.

In case you don't remember how to do this, it's pretty simple. Here are the materials you need:

  1. decorative paper
  2. pen (I am using a metallic gold artist's pen, but you can use whatever you like)
  3. scissors
  4. a book



And here is what you do:
  1. Trim the paper to remove any barcodes or other elements you don't want on there
  2. Center the book in the middle of the paper (paper should be pretty-side down)
  3. Make creases in the paper that align with the bottom of the book and the top of the book, so you're basically folding the paper lengthwise into three sections
  4. Wrap the paper around the book, folding under the excess paper on the ends 
  5. Tuck the covers into those newly created flaps
  6. Write the name and author of the book on the spine, so you know which one it is
And this is what it should look like when you're done!



Now my little book collection is super adorable! Much better than the dog-chewed paper backs that I was too embarrassed to display before!


Now I can't wait to make over all my old books! 

PS Aren't my bookends adorable? I got them at Home Goods!

No comments:

Post a Comment